Practitioner & Volunteers
A safe recruitment process ensures that staff, volunteers and people in a position of trust who work within your organisation are suitable to work with children and young people. Voluntary, community and faith groups should ensure that they have recruitment and vetting procedures in place, including Disclosure and Barring Service checks for all relevant staff, volunteers and people in a position of trust.
Thorough checks should take place on all applicants as part of the recruitment process and references should always be taken up prior to employment and registration.
A safe recruitment and vetting process should include:
- A written recruitment, selection and induction policy
- A person specification and role description
- An application form covering essential information which must be completed by everyone who applies for a position of trust
- Face to face interviews with anyone you may want to appoint involving more than one person and using a transparent scoring system
- A rule that applications must provide:
- 2 references (one of which should be the last employer reference)
- 2 proofs of ID/address
- Original copies of qualifications
- Enhanced DBS checks on people in a position of trust that renders them eligible for such checks