Children & young people
The Warning Signs of Child Sexual Exploitation
Some of the warning signs you might notice about someone who is being sexually exploited are:
- Staying out late or all night
- Going 'missing'
- Drinking alcohol or taking drugs
- Having older friends or older boyfriends/girlfriends
- Being given things like alcohol, drugs or gifts for free
- Not going to school
- Suddenly changing how they behave or look
- Going to parties in flats, houses or hotels
- Being encouraged to do sexual things
- Being secretive about who they have been with or where they have been
It's not always easy to talk to about this, but it is important that you do. If you are worried that you, or someone else, may be being sexually exploited you should tell an adult who can help, like a teacher, social worker, youth worker or the police.
Sexual exploitation can happen to anyone, no matter whether you are a boy or a girl, and no matter what your age or background.